Sunday, May 28, 2017

Heritage Park Festival of Quilts 2017

This weekend was the annual Festival of Quilts at Heritage Park. I just love this time of year!

This year I had three quilts in the show:

Merry Mayhem Mystery Quilt #140: Nifty Thrifty

This quilt was a the New Years Day mystery quilt for 2017. I chose to do the baby quilt size and added some borders to it to make it slightly rectangle. It was displayed in the bedroom of the Nellie McClung house.

This next quilt is Dawn Over Heritage Park. The pattern is designed by Ana Buzzalino, an incredibly talented quilter here in Calgary. I took the workshop for this pattern at the Festival of Quilts in 2008 and finished it just two days before this year's show!


I have been saving a spot on my living room wall to hang this quilt for about 5 years now and I can't wait to see it in it's permanent home. At the show it was displayed on the veranda of the Thorpe House and I thought they chose the perfect spot for it.

The last quilt is my Checker quilt. Two years ago I participated in a Beehive Block Exchange through Blossom Heart Quilts and this was the block I selected. Each beehive had 12 ladies in it and each month had a different Queen Bee who got to choose her block and colours. Everyone made one block and sent it to the Queen. I made a few extras to get a double size quilt that fits our futon for when we have guests.


We almost didn't find this quilt. After searching the whole park and not seeing it, we sat down and went over the map again. Suddenly, we realized we had never gone INSIDE the Thorpe House (we're pretty sure someone told us there were no quilts inside). So we walked all the way back from Gasoline Alley and there it was on the dining table inside the house!! I was so relieved to see it... too bad the light wasn't very good in the room by the time we got there.

That was the majority of my weekend. Sunday was a little more laid back, with a bit of gardening, some singing, and visiting my sister for her 40th birthday.

Now to get caught up on the rest of life that got ignored while I was frantically finishing a quilt for the show...

No comments:

Post a Comment