Monday, September 17, 2012

The Great Crabapple Harvest

I haven't done a lot of canning the past few years. There was that brief teaching experience last year, when I taught my boyfriend how to can oranges and make marmalade, but other than that it's been quite some time.

So, when I was visiting my Mom and saw her tree drooping under the wait of all those red apples I knew I had to get to work this year! We picked 3 large, reusable shopping bags full (this is only two, but, trust me, there was a third):


Out of the first bag I got 13 half pints and 3 other jars (not sure of the size) of jelly:


I don't think there is anything prettier than jars of crabapple jelly in the sun!

My plans for the rest of the first bag are for crabapple butter. I've never made it before, so it will be a new experience. I'm also looking for new recipes to try with the other two bags. I'm going to try some spiced whole apples, some chutney and some liqueur. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment