Thursday, December 15, 2011

Learning Something New

I've been thinking about it for awhile... learning to spin.

Yesterday I finally took the plunge. I had a gift certificate for my LYS (local yarn store) to use for classes so I signed up for Spinning 101 in January. Then... since I was going to need it anyways... I bought a drop spindle (gorgeous handcrafted spindle made from bloodwood and maple) and some top/roving to play with.

Not being a patient person (class doesn't start for another three weeks), I watched some YouTube videos, pre-drafted some wool and just started to try it out. This is my first result so far (I still have some of this colourway left to spin):


It is amazing to me how much the fibre changes when you spin it. As pre-drafted roving there looks like there is very little colour in it and I actually thought it was not very nice looking. Therefore, I thought it would be a good first practice one because if I screwed it up I wouldn't care! Unfortunately (or fortunately) I love it and wish I had a whole lot more!


It is a BFL/merino blend. Apparently, BFL (blue-faced Leicester) is a good fibre to learn on because it has a long staple. Merino is supposed to be more difficult because it is slippery with a shorter staple. I think the combination makes it a very nice first spin.

Because I won't get much yardage out of this (quite a small sample) I will most likely leave it as a single and not attempt to ply it just yet, so that I will hopefully have enough to knit something with in the end!

No comments:

Post a Comment